Friday, November 14, 2014

Where the Wild Things Are


We read the book Where the Wild Things Are and decided to write our own Wild Things adventures.

We are learning about onomatopoeia - words that make the sound of an object or the action an object does. e.g. meow for cat, stomp stomp for grumpy footsteps.

Can you see where we have used onomatopoeia in our stories?

Author Jasmine wrote:

Thump ! Thump ! Slam goes my bedroom door. I was so made when mum locked me in my room without supper. Suddenly, there was sprouts coming out of my furry carpet. They got bigger and bigger until they became a jungle where the wild things are. Bang ! Bang ! Crash ! The wild things are coming but I will stop them with my magic trick and then I will be made the Queen of the jungle. Hahahaha ! This will be a piece of cake. The wild things are my servants and I told them what to do. Let the royal rumpus begin and make your loudest roar and your meanest face. They were dancing. I got sleepy so I went to sleep and when I woke up everything changed back to normal. Has that happened to you before?

Author Caitlin wrote:

Stomp ! I stomped off to my bedroom feeling very angry with my brother because I was fighting with him and he scratched me. Whack ! went my door as I slammed it shut behind me and leapt onto my bed. Suddenly, I saw green grass growing through my carpet. After the grass came tonnes of giant brown trees that started shooting up from the carpet. Then, I saw 8 huge feet coming towards me and 8 yellow eyes staring at me so I tried to find a place to hide. Then I had a perfect idea. I jumped into a tree and they followed me. I realised they were nice so we started to play hide and go seek. We were having heaps of fun. I wasn't that angry anymore after that. I smelt the yummy smell of cottage pie so I closed my eyes and opened them again and everything had vanished. I wonder who the wild things will visit next?

Author Hannah wrote:

Thump ! Thump ! Thump ! went my heavy feet on the way to my bedroom. I slammed the door hard, got my torch and my chapter book and crawled under the bed. Then, slowly I lifted my eyes from my chapter book and looked out from under my bed. I saw gorse shoots coming from the carpet creeping all around the wall. I was certain it was gorse because it was spiky. Suddenly, I saw a wild looking creature peeking out from behind the gorse. The creature pulled my hand and danced around the trees and then I had a game of Bop It and I focussed on Bop It so much the creatures disappeared and my room was back to normal. I was hungry so I sprinted out of my room to get some food. While I was eating I wondered if I would see the creature again.

Author Zack wrote:

Grumble! Grumble! went my feet down the hallway. Suddenly, I stopped and I heard a sound and I ran to my room. I opened my door and all I saw was stars and planets. I stopped and thought, then I realised I was in the wilderness. I glanced into the distance and I saw a wolf howling into the night sky. Then, a wild thing jumped from planet to planet and smashed on the ground then he picked me up and took me to the rumble ceremony. He roared, "Let the ceremony begin." Then, he threw me up but when I came down there was no one to catch me. I landed down onto my bed. I was back in my room and there was dinner waiting for me. It was just a dream. Have you ever had a dream like that?






2 comments:

  1. great story keep up the great work :D :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome room 14.Awesome Onomatopoeia.Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete